Props for Standing
Prepare the environment so you feel happy that your child is safe to exploreBe ready for when your child starts to crawl and walk alone:
- Attach a wooden bar about two inches in diameter to a wall for your child to practise pulling himself up on.
- Provide sturdy stools for your child to pull himself up on and remove all wobbly tables and chairs that he might pull on top of himself.
- Put things that your child can play with on low shelves and things that are off limit out of his reach.
- Put security locks on cupboards that you don't want your child to open.
Show your child how
- Help him to understand what the bar is for by showing how to clasp his hands on it.
- Offer a stool or a hand for you child to pull himself up on when he is showing that he wants to get up higher to see or do something.
- Let him try at pulling up on things for himself rather than pulling him up with your own hands. He will learn more quickly through his own effort.